Friday, September 16, 2011

Thurs Sep 15, a long drive over a high pass with a smattering of snow

Thurs Sep 15 Day 17 Cooler at night
We went back into the Wild Horse Center for a bit. Left there about 10:25 @ 143946. We stopped for lunch at an Arby’s in Worland, 11:50 – 12:30. We stopped at a place called “10 Sleep” to see why the strange name. It turns out it goes back to Indian times when two of the local Indians’ wintering places were 20 “sleeps”--days’ travel apart. This location was equal distance, ie. “ten sleep” from either place, hence the name. Note that in the Indian language they don’t use the “s” on the end of words for plural. When we left Lovell we were at 3814 feet, we climbed & climbed and finally went over Powder River Pass at 2:05 pm, elev. 9666 feet. Sheila got out to read a travel sign at the summit when it started to rain, She immediately returned to the RV, just in time, as the rain turned to a very cold mix of rain & snow! As we started downhill the road was starting to have a whitish colour but after a few minutes we had decended a couple hundred feet and it turned to plain rain & even that stopped after a while & the sun came out. After we got to I 90 Sheila drove for about an hour & a half, (3 – 4:30), then I took us into Sundance where our RV Park was. As I came off the freeway exit & around a corner a parked police car did a fast U-Turn with lights flashing. (These small towns have a habit of going from a speed limit on the freeway of 75 mph to 30 mph or even 25 mph.) We both missed the “30 mph” sign. The cop asked why I thought he stopped me. I, of course, said, “I guess I was going a bit fast coming off the freeway”. He replied “Way too fast,” and then went back to his car with my licence. After a while he came back & said he would let me off with a warning this time, he also said Wyoming has zero tolerance and you can get a ticket for a little as 1 mile over the limit. We carried on to the Campground arriving at 5:30 @ 144414 km. They have cable here & WiFi so Sheila is watching what seem to be continuous “Frasier” episodes while I try to catch up on my journal & the blog. It is going down to 37 tonight but is supposed to get warm, (70’s) again tomorrow.

We drove 468 km, 290 miles - - Sheila drove for 1.5 hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment