Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Day 9 Jan 22 Tues



Today is Breakfast Group day.  It used to be “Bike to Breakfast” but with increases in ages plus, more importantly,3 major increases in traffic on the streets we have to ride on to get to the breakfast restaurants, (a different one each week), everyone drives there by car now.  They have specials at the restaurants so breakfast is not expensive, for example today there were about 6 choices, all $6.99, add in coffee & you are still under $10.00.  I went by myself because Sheila is going to a Ladies luncheon and swim suit event. I don’t know if they have models for the swim suits, but I don’t think so as none of the husbands were going.  When Sheila comes back I am going out to see if there is another internet company better than the one GVP provides.  I’m going to investigate the internet rental company, Spectrum, that, I’m told can put a full strength signal right to my RV that I won’t have to share with hundreds of other users.  It depends on cost of course.
Sheila’s back to share her account of the Ladies Luncheon.  H-e-r-e-s  Sheila!
“It was a great luncheon!  Much more fun than the other one or two I’ve attended.  The theme was swimsuits and beach wear.  Glossy’s--the famous swim suit shop in Palm Springs, had brought a large selection of their swimsuits, tops & cover-ups, summer dresses and one type of very comfortable slip-on sandals for luncheon attendees to try on and purchase if they wished.  Swimsuits were only $29.99, (no matter what the original price was—sometimes a hundred $ or more), sundresses & tops- $7.99 and the sandals $8.99.  The activity room off the Billiards hall was set up as a large communal fitting room for the ladies with 3 full length mirrors.  Doors opened at 10:00 am.  As we entered the ballroom and surrendered our $15.00  we were given 4 tickets for the door prize drawings, (there were about 20 in all!), plus 10 green tickets which we could use to play one or all 3 of the arcade games spread around the room to earn more tickets for the door prizes.  In addition, if you wished, you could buy 10 tickets/$5.00 for the 25/25/25/25 draw at the end of the luncheon ie. all of the money collected was divided into 4 jackpots and then raffled off.  Since about 120 ladies attended, I think they would have been good jackpots.
After our shopping & playing time,  “Lunch was served”  by men, most of them husbands of the ladies who planned & organized this event.  Lunch was pulled pork, rice, a soft, slightly sweet bun and the most delicious, layered iced lemon cake I’ve ever tasted!  Then came the “piece de resistance”--a short fashion show by 5 of the men who had run the games & served the food.  They modelled some outlandish swimming costumes which had been ‘whipped up” by some o the ladies, to humorous commentary.  The draws for the door prizes started just before lunch and finished just after.  I was lucky & won one.  It came in a bag which was taped shut, but to my delight when I opened it at my table; I found a 10 pack of mini bottles of Fireball Whiskey with accompanying drink recipes.  A great prize as far as I was concerned!  It almost made up for not winning one of the 25/25/25/25 jackpots!  A great party—great food & fun activities.  Oh yes, I forgot to mention, I bought a pair of their sandals and one of the best fitting, most slimming & most comfortable swimsuits I’ve ever had—I can’t wait to wear it in the pool tomorrow.
When I looked at the original price tag I just about fainted—I paid $30.00 for a $174.00 suit!!
OK, enough of that, the master of the blog is back.  OK, it’s only me.  I went out & ordered the accessory part I needed to be able to run my tire inflator pump off a 110 volt AC line.  It’ll arrive in a week, so no problem.   I have also been able to finally find a refillable butane gas burner lighter, a pair for $5.00 at Hemet Trailer Supply store.  I also got a btl of Sta-Bil to put in my gas tank so all is working out.  As it is Tuesday, this is Taco Tuesday & karaoke night at the Elks Lodge so we are off there for supper.  The Taco’s were great as usual, only $1.50 each, plus a delicious lemon cake for a dollar a slice. The Karaoke part was less than the usual reasonable singing, but with some outstandingly good singers.  Mostly people would do slow C.W. stuff that didn’t have a tune and they couldn’t get the phrasing timed right.  However, Sheila saw a singer from previous years that she knew was good and asked him if he was on, he said he would put his name, Howard, on the list plus she spoke with one of the very few other good singers and she was due to sing again later, so we stayed.  After he sang Sinatra’s “My Way”, we left and got home about 8PM.  It’s cool in the evenings still so the furnace needs to be on. It is supposed to warm up this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment