Wednesday, April 10, 2013


Mon Apr 8 Day 88      Heavy cloud & windy, periodic sprinkles at GVP in AM

We pulled out of GVP @ 157431km @ 10AM.  Up on Hwy 10 there was quite a strong wind.  We arrived at out gas stop in Boron at 12:25 @ 157603km and thanks to my RV Plus charge card we filled up the RV, (40 USG), and I put some gas in a can for the generator & away by 12:40. It really saves time not having to go into the station to have them set an amount then after I fill go back to get a receipt plus standing in line at the cashier each time. Then off westward on hwy 58.  We stopped at a rest area for lunch 12:50 to 1:25.  We were driving into a very strong headwind, then into low cloud.  I had the wipers on but the road was dry, we were driving through the moisture in the clouds at around 3000 ft elevation. With the head wind I had a hard time to keep us going at 45 mph, I periodically had to gear down to get it back up to 45mph.  Very few cars were passing me, the hwy warning boards were flashing, “high wind advisory, reduce speed, not recommended for trucks & campers”.  Finally, a few miles before we got to hwy 99 to turn northward we got back into calm weather & sun.  We had an RV park on the GPS but the GPS took us way out of the way and ended at a dirt field.  We made our way back to hwy 99 & the RV Park but the wrong direction probably cost us about 20 miles out of the way, I have no idea why.  One thing was that the address listed was on 200 Ave. and when we got to the park the street sign said Rankin Ave.  We arrived at the park at 5PM @ 157899km.   Sheila was feeling the worst yet and considered going to a Dr. for an antibiotic but we were late in the day arriving and most places were closed or only open for a short time.  She will see how she feels in the morning.

Distance covered – 468km – 291 mi

2 comments:

  1. Poor Sheila! I hope she's feeling better now...
    That's quite some wind, do you know what the speed of it was at?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No real idea of wind speed, some people delayed their departure because the direction they were going (NE) they were predicting 80 mph winds, that's 128km. I don't think we hit that but it was high, I never got out of the RV to see if I got blown away.
    Sheila finally did the DR appt on Wed, it's in the next post.

    ReplyDelete